You’re flipping through the channels and absently land on a movie starring two really attractive people and find yourself wondering, “Is this a movie based on a book by Nicholas Sparks?”
Well, no need to pull up IMDB. Just answer these 10 simple questions and you’ll know without a doubt if you’re watching “The Sparks” fly.
1) Is it set in the South?
2) Is one of the characters categorically “from the wrong side of the tracks”?
3) Are the main characters involved in any horseplay, especially during a montage?
4) At any point do the characters swim?
5) Does a father try to pay the person “from the wrong side of the tracks” to go away?
6) Is there a shirtless, emotionally vulnerable man?
7) Are there people kissing in the rain?
8) Are there short four or five syllable declarations of love followed by a face-grabbing kiss?
9) Did one of the characters write a letter of any kind?
10) Are you crying, or nearly crying?
If you answered “yes” to more than five of these questions then rest assured that you are watching a movie based on a book by Nicholas Sparks. In fact, if you said “yes” to #7 alone, there’s a 90% probability that it’s a genuine Sparks.
So grab your box of tissues and enjoy the classic three act structure. You won’t have to think very hard for the next 90+ minutes, but I’ll be damned if you won’t feel.
I’ve seen it, and oh yes, it goes 10 for 10.